SAINT BASIL THE GREAT
Saint Basil was the bishop of Caesarea Mazaca in Cappadocia (in today's Turkey) in the 4th century. He was one of the Church Fathers who approved the Nicene Creed that we use until today when we profess our faith during the Holy Mass. Saint Basil protected the purity of faith and was against all heresies that were common to the first centuries of Christianity. He was the defender of the faith!
Our oldest church in Brantford is dedicated to Saint Basil. It was one of the first churches in the Toronto diocese, before the Hamilton Diocese was established. Saint Basil's has been located on Palace St since 1842 (178 years ago) and the current church building was completed in 1875 after almost ten years of construction. Designed in the English Gothic Revival Style, Saint Basil's is proud of it vaulted ceilings, stained glass windows (1937) and huge pipe organ.
“Love of God is not something that can be taught. We did not learn from someone else how to rejoice in light or want to live, or to love our parents or guardians. It is the same – perhaps even more so – with our love for God: it does not come by another’s teaching.” ― St. Basil the Great
The closed door is not a barrier for prayer and love!